Monday 5 May 2008

The average height in the Netherlands is around 6'5"

Is one of the first things my bus tour guide person told us about Amsterdam. SO true.


I actually went to Amsterdam on Remembrance Day - so I went to the main square place and I saw the queen!!! It was so cool! On Remembrance Day, everyone is basically silent for 2 minutes at 8 pm. I was told pretty much everything shuts down, and cars on the highway even pull over! I got to get to the front of the procession at one point! Tall people's shoulders covered my view and pictures for majority of it though - since I'm short and everyone is pretty much 6 feet tall and up.

I had left my luggage in a locker in the train station, and got back at 11:30 at night to find that they close everything up at 11:00! But luckily I went to the information desk and they opened it up! I know I just repeat this over and over but people are so nice!

I wish I could've been in Amsterdam longer! I'm SO mad at myself for only going for 1 night! At least I got the main highlight - the nightlife (my host took me to a couchsurf gathering) - and seeing the Queen! And windmills - there are a lot of them! I met my first Mongolian and lots of Amsterdam people! The Netherlands is now #2 on my list of countries I must go back to (after Sweden).

Not having a phone/watch is stressful by the way. I was SO worried I was going to miss my bus this morning mainly b/c I had no idea what time it was. But I made it! Now I'm in Berlin and tired so I'm taking it easy tonight and updating this blog. But Europe is awesome and I don't want to go back to the US!

No comments: