Thursday 24 April 2008

Northern Ireland and Liverpool = Muckers and Where Fairy Tales Live

OK continuing on:

Belfast
So I found out when I got there (I didn't know this beforehand) that Belfast is Van Morrison and CS Lewis's hometown! So I continued sightseeing keeping this in mind. The city was gorgeous and once again, it didn't rain! Or when it did, it would immediately be sunny again!

I wish I were Irish! They have so many resources there for looking up your ancestors/background!

Anyways while I was in Belfast, I had a vegetarian Ulster Fry (potato bread, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms and baked beans) at this cute cafe (Paul's Cafe) where the owner had remembered me from when I had walked by the day before! Then I went up to Napoleon's Nose! It was amazing! Since no one else was around I decided to fulfill my goal of singing from the top of a mountain there! Of course I ran around like Julie Andrews in The Sound Of Music and sang "The Sound of Music"! When I got bored with that song I moved onto Villanelle - that soprano coloratura song I sang in high school. . . it really is easier to hit those high notes when you're super happy! And at the top of the mountain/hill(?) in nature! Later I also went to the Giant's Ring!

Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede

While I was in Ireland, I wanted to see the Giant's Causeway and the such, so I figured - why not do it on the way to Derry? So I found out it was 17 quid to do it via the Paddywagon tour (which went there and to Derry, then went back to Belfast) and 14 quid to do it piece by piece, so I went ahead and did the tour and got off at Derry! I'm glad I did too because it was probably the best tour I have been on! He went all into the political history of Ireland and told the Celtic fairy tales behind Napoleon's Nose and the Giant's Causeway! It was also cool b/c I thought there wouldn't be anyone else getting off at Derry, but the ONE other girl who was being picked up at my hostel, was doing the same thing! So I made a new friend- hence the fact that I have pictures of me!

While I was there, I went on the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge - which connects to a rock island and is supposed to be scary and unsafe, but I didn't think it was THAT scary! It was more the wind blowing as you can see. . . and really hard!

Seriously, when I got there, my heart stopped for a minute or so - the water is SO clear (apparently seals like to hang out around there!) and the cliffs were AMAZING and even the grass is just magical looking! Seriously, if there's any place that fairy tales could really have taken place, it's this place. . . Though I have been told the west coast is even MORE amazing! I can't even imagine that! I was so impressed, I joined the National Trust.

Derry
So the other part I didn't mention was I couchsurfed for the first time. I know I know a lot of people think it's sketchy and unsafe and no one will join, but anyways I was super scared and worried and I had a back-up plan in case (if I had a bad feeling upon meeting him in a public place, I would run to the hostel I had planned on staying at originally)! But the weird thing was, I ended up chatting with the tour guide of the Paddywagon tour, and he knew him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was SO relieved. You all have no idea. I mean, I have been trying to live off of the "things will work out" philosophy, but you know. . . Anyways as it turns out, Ruairi, my host, is the son of the ex-mayor of Derry! I have to say though, my experience could NOT have turned out better! He was an AMAZING host and everyone in the city knew him - so I met a lot of locals! He also took me to a bunch of pubs with live (usually traditional Irish) music and on one of the tours he does normally - so I also met more people on the normal (more than 1 day) Paddywagon tours! It was amazing! My favorite instrument now is the Irish Flute btw (replacing the cello). The tone is just gorgeous. It sounds kind of lonely, as if it's longing for something. And don't make fun of me, I know instruments don't "long" for anything, but that's how I describe it.

Anyways Derry is really close to the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border, so I walked across it! There used to be British soldiers guarding it with guns, but now they're more lax. Ruairi said I get really easily amused. The political history is also fascinating! I had always been confused about the whole nationalists vs. unionists thing (it's more that than Protestants vs. Catholics). Ruairi said when he was growing up, the only accents he had ever heard were British and Irish accents. He also explained to me that a lot of people in Derry have never been outside of Derry, which is why they will look at me a lot.

Also seriously, the people here - it's just SO safe, people leave their doors unlocked! UNLOCKED! I mean I'm not even exaggerating!

Among the sightseeing things I saw, the coolest was St. Columb's Church - which is potentially John Newton's inspiration for "Amazing Grace" (yes my travels have a theme - finding inspirations for great works of art)

Then I caught a flight to:

Liverpool
I didn't have much time to do much, but I made sure to at least go to The Cavern - which was actually really fun! I went by myself (and walked in just as a guy was starting my favorite - "Hey Jude") and it was fun! They played Beatles covers and people were singing along! I also met a Canadian at the hostel who happened to be going on the same coach to London with me so we sat together!

Anyways, I ended up hanging out and talking all night with her and a Kiwi, and I'm even more inspired to travel! The Kiwi (sorry, not sure what his name was) had traveled a lot, and he could tell I was Korean - to which I go - WHAT?!?!?! I can't tell the difference and I'm Asian! But in his travels he sort of picked up the physical characteristics. He could also tell I was an Aquarian (said I reminded him of another Aquarian he knew) which I think is weird.

No comments: